The specific performance requirements for fasteners differ when it comes to the industries they will be used in, whether it be aerospace, marine, oil and gas or automotive. When a single type of finish does not produce all the desired fastener characteristics, manufacturers tailor the combination of finishes to meet the specific demands of the industry and the environmental conditions in which they will be used. The use of hybrid finishings enhances the overall performance and reliability of the fasteners.
- Zinc-Nickel Plating: Used in critical automotive components like brake calipers, suspension systems, and engine components to provide high corrosion resistance and durability.
- Geomet and Delta Protekt: Commonly used in automotive fasteners for their excellent corrosion protection and anti-friction properties, ensuring long-lasting performance in harsh conditions.
- Cadmium Plating and Dry Film Lubricant: This combination provides corrosion resistance and lubrication, making it suitable for aerospace fasteners where reliability and performance are critical.
Oil and Gas Industry:
- Xylan and PTFE Coating: Used in fasteners for valves, flanges, and connectors in oil and gas pipelines to prevent corrosion and reduce friction during assembly and operation.
Marine and Coastal Applications:
- Zinc-Phosphate Coating: Hybrid fasteners with zinc-phosphate coating are used in marine environments to provide corrosion resistance and lubricity for easier assembly.
Heavy Machinery and Equipment:
- Zinc-Flake Coating and Organic Topcoat: Used in construction equipment, agricultural machinery, and industrial machinery to resist corrosion and improve wear resistance.
Electronic and Electrical Equipment:
- Nickel Plating with Topcoat: This hybrid finish is employed in electrical connectors and electronic devices to prevent corrosion and ensure good electrical conductivity.
- Hybrid Coatings for Solar Panel Mounting Systems: Fasteners used in solar panel mounting systems can have a combination of coatings to ensure resistance to outdoor elements, such as sunlight, rain, and temperature fluctuations.
Fastener finishes will be featured in a Fireside Chat at IFE 2023, presented on Wednesday, October 11 at 1:30PM. Register today and get ready to learn from expert speakers at this educational session and many more!