During IFE 2023, Will Snyder, Co-Founder and COO of WTC – Business Technology Services, brought his knowledge and expertise of cyber security to attendees ready to learn more about keeping their fastener business safe from this all-too-common threat. New technologies and the proper adoption will help businesses, both large and small, stay secure. Set yourself, your employees, and your business up for a secure future by following these 6 key tips Will outlined in his session, Cyber Security – The NEW normal has CHANGED!
- Protect the network edge
AKA the internet. An inexpensive way to protect the network edge (internal PCs from the internet) is with a DNS filter, this weeds out bad traffic coming into your network. Fastener businesses will also need a Next Gen Firewall with current licensing, if yours is more than 3 years old it’s time for a new one! A 3rd party IT company can also be a helpful tool and resource testing your systems and ensuring that you aren’t vulnerable to security threats.
- Protect the end points
AKA PCs, laptops, and servers. It is key that you make sure your endpoint protection has been updated within the last 2 years. There are also various new technologies, like AI and XDR, that help with this. AI can look for abnormalities and alert you with 24/7 monitoring. XDR, or extended detection and response, is a new and holistic approach that provides protection against cyberattacks, misuse, and unauthorized access.
- Educate ALL staff
This could be and should be #1 on the list! Employees should receive consistent training, including automated phishing tests, to ensure and educate your team on how to identify these threats and report. It is also important to utilize the results of these trainings and tests to provide ongoing support in areas that require additional attention.
- Protect email
The most predominant email choice is now Microsoft 365, which offers a variety of security features, like Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), which is normally required by cyber insurance providers. It is also recommended that you use 3rd party email filtering. This decreases the number of emails that make it to your inbox and monitors any that may be malicious by adding an extra layer of sorting before the message reaches and goes through Microsoft’s security measures.
- Protect ALL data
Good, timely backups are the best defense against ransomware attacks. Backups should be done every day and can even be completed offline through cloud-based platforms.
- Protect your business from lost revenue
Cyber insurance should be in place in your fastener company to help cover the cost of business disruptions, loss of income, to pay ransom, and various other business-related losses. While the tips above safeguard about 85%, cyber insurance can help to cover the remaining 15% needed to fully protect your business. Cyber attacks are not an “if” but “when,” be prepared and proactive with cyber insurance.
You can view Will’s entire presentation from IFE 2023 on our newly launched video library, IFE Replay, along with all the other sessions, keynote, and more from this year and the 2022 show.